Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Wishing all you wonderful blog readers out there a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
This is an illustration of a changed Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge and a grateful Tiny Tim that I did for a Christmas card this year. I was pushing it for time, and barely got it sent to the printers in time. But I managed to send several out to friends and family.
Here's a bit of the process I used to create it - I used this project as a chance to
apply what I'd learned from Cory Godbey's "Fox" demo (which I really can't recommend to you enough). I look forward to continuing to explore more digital/traditional techniques in the coming year. Here's a bit of how the project progressed:

 Final drawing, scanned, cleaned up, and levels adjusted.
 Linework adjusted to a warm color, sepia underpainting on the characters.
 Flat color added.
 Adding in some lighter colors.
 Pushing the light and dark colors.
Painted texture applied over the characters with a layer mask.


Texture applied over background.

Color balance layer applied over the background, with local color added to the background elements.
And Finished!

___________________

Merry Christmas everybody! Looking forward to sharing some new projects 
with you in the coming year!

No comments: