Friday, October 9, 2009

#009 Magazine Cover (Part 2)

Okay, now that I've got my shirt done, here's what it looks like. The Headless Horseman, right? Notice how I've carefully traced the stripes on the shirt, and how this makes the outlines very defined without tracing the rumples in it.



______________________
Now I've began to work on my head. One bad thing about this project is that I have to carefully scrutinize every detail of my face. Let me tell you, it's humbling.

I've kind of got a rough outline here, and basically I'm trying to capture the defining details of the image without getting bogged down with minutia. Also, I want to start to define the highlights & shadows on my face by making them into vector shapes as well. This is hard because the come out looking solid, and not very transparent like real shadows and highlights.

________________________

In this image, you can see the highlights on my nose & forehead. I'm trying to get just a basic outline of where the light is hitting it. I used a flash photograph in broad daylight to kind of really get some strong light. This helped me separate the headshot from the background, and capture the light and shadow better.

At this point I'm kind of looking like Michael Jackson, but I'll eventually get the light like I want it, and substitute some better colors. All the colors are kind of placeholders until the end, when I'll fine-tune the colors a little more.



Next: Magazine Cover (Part 3)


No comments: