Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sketch Dailies: Sherlock


Hi everyone! It's been too long since my last blog post, so I apologize. Here is a quick thirty minute sketch I did today for "Sketch Dailies", a sketch challenge over on Twitter. Sherlock Holmes has long been a favorite of mine. I love A. Conan Doyle's stories, and I have several different volumes of Holmes' adventures. I will occasionally break them out and dive into the London Fog along with the sleuth and the ever faithful Dr. Watson (preferably on rainy, windy nights like tonight!) Anyway, this was just a super fast drawing in my sketchbook with some Photoshop icing on top. Also, you'd be surprised how much contrast and mood you can get using only 3 colors...

In other news, I've been working on projects that I haven't had time to post about (more soon maybe?). I just completed a variant comic book cover for an indie comic artist, which was a lot of fun. I'm in negotiations to begin illustrating a collection of short stories for a local author. I'll be doing some interior illustrations along with a full-color cover. It's going to be a bit time-consuming, and the deadline is in April, so I'm eager to get started soon. 

And finally, I submitted to Spectrum for the first time! It's doubtful that I'll be accepted into the annual book, but the act of submitting was a big deal for me. I submitted two pieces that I did last year. I'll keep you posted on any news about that.

Okay! Well, glad you stopped by! Hope to have more art up soon. Now, back to painting! 

Cheers,

-Will

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey Will, I love the Sherlock portrait, especially the amount o f character you managed to capture with minimal color. Also, I'm. excited to hear about the projects in-the-works, and hope you'll be able to share them soon. Don't neglect the blog–I really enjoy your posts. All the best!

Will Kelly said...

Thanks Seth! I will keep everyone posted when I get the chance. I would love to be on a more regular posting schedule, but sometimes I just don't have new work to post. So I need to just commit to being more diligent about drawing *and* posting! Thanks for reading.
-Will

Alisha Lehigh said...

Still watching your posts- always excited to see your art! And happy birthday! May the coming year bring many more opportunities to expand with the art you enjoy so much. God bless! -Alisha Lehigh

Will Kelly said...

Hey thanks so much Alisha! I appreciate the birthday wishes. Looking forward to this year, I think there are a lot of learning opportunities in store for me. Hope you're doing well!

-Will