Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Black Chow - Charcoal Study


Today was a pretty difficult day. Just a lot of discouragement. In life, it's easy to lose your perspective and focus on things that don't particularly matter. Today was one of those days for me. I'm in the middle of a season of life where I am trying to find my direction as an artist. The danger in knowing what you want to do as an artist is the fact that you think it will come instantly. Of course,
that's never the case. What you will achieve will be the result of hard work and perseverance. 
So on days like today, when the art doesn't flow as freely out of my brain, my first reaction is to assume that I won't make it because a particular drawing isn't working. But that of course is nonsense. 

Sometimes you just need to reorder your priorities. And don't quit or give up just because it's not easy! There's something to be said for taking a break, but don't use that as an excuse to not work hard.
So, after some false starts, I finally knocked out this little drawing, and everything was okay again in Will's illustration world. (Haha).

Here is a study of a black chow for an illustration that I'm doing for an upcoming book project. Did this one in charcoal in my Moleskine sketchbook. I've been using charcoal more lately because I like the ease with which it creates deeper values, and the softness of the application.
Animals are so much fun to draw! It seems like every time I draw one I enjoy it immensely. ADs! Hire me to do your animal projects! ;)

And finally, I thought I would share this album with you. I've played it twice today, and it really was fantastic. I've never been a huge fan of Beck, but this latest album is great music to create to. Give it a listen:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the look of the charcoal, here–you should post more of your charcoals. And that dog's expression is just great.