Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Beauty & the Beast: Watercolor

Taking a quick break from some LPG sketchwork to post my progress on the Beauty & the Beast piece that I worked on over the course of the TLC Workshop weekend before last. This is the final watercolor, with just one or two adjustment layers in Photoshop to bring life back into the scanned image.

I'm pretty pleased with the overall painting. Personally, I feel like this is one of the best "finished" watercolors I've ever done, although there is a great deal of room for improvement here. I really need to work on my application of the media - I tend to just mush the paint around with no objective for the strokes. In future paintings, I'll be trying for smoother layers of color.

The next step will be digital adjustments. Happily, I think I've gotten much more color information down in the painting than in the Winter Dragon one I did last time. Hopefully that will make the digital stage much easier!

Anyway, that's about it. What do you think? Keep at it, or go into a career in the Fast Food industry?

(JUST KIDDING)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice! I feel like this has a great deal more saturation to the color than some of your other watercolors, even without any digital trickery. And I'd say stick with the art, unless you can make some really mean french fries.

Aedan Peterson said...

This is awesome! I love how the watercolor turned out! That workshop sounds really fun.

Will Kelly said...

Thanks guys!